Filmmaking is a very interesting process that can be both tasking and challenging. Below is the process, steps or checklist to make a film and which any one hoping to make a film either on a shoe string budget or big time Hollywood budget .
- CONCEPT: What is the film going to be about? What is the message of the film? What exactly are you trying to achieve with the film?. A Movie idea is the most important preproduction aspect of a film. Until you are able to get a good enough idea for a film, the other film process might just be a waste of time. In Hollywood for instance, due to sometimes lack of new ideas that movie studio executives believe would hugely resonate with the audience. They often go ahead to make sequels to movies already made. Hoping to develop an already existing idea that the audience loved. The commonest way an idea can be born is by asking what ifs.
- CONCEPT DEVELOPMENT: There are three stages to concept development
- Story development- This simply focuses on developing the idea to become realistic enough to be believed in a movie. This might often require facts checking, scientific research and questions asking. For instance if sharks are to fall from the sky, you would have to present a seemingly perfect logic or explanation as to why sharks would fall from the sky. Without the story development, a stupid idea is just a stupid idea.
- Screenplay writing- When the story has been developed, then screen writing comes into play, where the story would be broken down into scenes, effects and visuals would be explained and dialogue would be developed for the artists in the film. Most times the screen play would have to be written over and over again
- Storyboarding.- Storyboarding is basically creating a visual guide for the film process. This would help in the camera angles, the actors mark positioning, the lighting and even in the post production.
- EQUIPMENT GATHERING AND SET UP- This stage involves getting and setting up equipment to be used for filming. This usually involves cameras, such as camcorders, pro camcorders, DSLR Cameras or black Magic Cameras, Depth of Field Reducer, Dolly, Track, Jib, Car mount, Microphone Windscreen, Lens shade and other lighting equipment. The concept and concept development would also help in procuring the right equipment for the film. The most important equipment being the camera. For the camera, the most important features are a full HD feature, a tripod mount, manual controls, mic input, headphone output and variable frame rates and interchangeable lenses with either single sensor or a higher image sensor. A three point lighting set up should also be used with a key light, a fill light and a back light, including light stands and light-shaping accessories. XLR Mics would also greatly improve the audio sound quality for a shoe string budget film and make it sound more professional.